“We’re Holding Our Own”: SS Edmund Fitzgerald

SS Edmund Fitzgerald (Courtesy Wikipedia)

SS Edmund Fitzgerald (Courtesy Wikipedia)

On 10 November 1975 a ferocious storm swirled over Lake Superior, the result of two weather systems clashing. It was one of the worst storms in the collective memory of many experiencing it. And caught in the middle was the SS Edmund Fitzgerald.

The “Big Fitz” had been launched on 7 June 1958. At that time the 728-foot freighter was the biggest, and one of the speediest, vessels plowing the waters of the Great Lakes. She would lose that title in 1971 to another vessel that surpassed the Fitzgerald in size. Still the Fitzgerald was something to be proud of. Although owned by Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company she was operated by Oglebay-Norton Company. Oglebay-Norton showed their appreciation for the vessel by making her their flagship.

In seventeen years of operation four different captains had commanded the Fitzgerald. Her latest was Ernest McSorley, the fourth and last captain of the Fitzgerald. McSorley was a respected skipper if a little distant from his crew. His second-in-command, good-humored First Mate Jack McCarthy, was also well-liked. McCarthy had been sailing under McSorley since 1970. While a large contingent of the crew were die-hard sailors there were a few who did not plan to stick it out. Crewman Karl Peckol was working towards a college education; First Assistant Engineer Edward Bindon was planning on making this voyage his last one.

On November 9 the Fitzgerald loaded up her cargo in Superior, Wisconsin before setting out for Zug Island. Sailing nearby was the SS Arthur M. Anderson. It was not until later the next day that the weather began to take a turn for the worse. The Fitzgerald being the swifter of the two easily outpaced the Anderson. It was not long before she was some miles ahead of the Anderson. By that time the lake was rocking the vessels on Lake Superior. At 3:15 p.m. the Fitzgerald sustained damage. According to one theory, inaccurate charts led the Fitzgerald into Six Fathoms Shoal. There the hull dragged along the shoal and her hull sustained considerable damage.

Whitefish Bay (Courtesy Library of Congress)

The Fitzgerald was listing and taking on water. McSorely had two of the ship’s pumps operating to keep the incoming water in check. At 4:00 p.m. the Fitzgerald’s radar antennae were carried away and the vessel lost the use of a valuable navigational tool. It was up to the Anderson to give the Fitzgerald a hand by providing McSorley with radar plots. In the meantime McSorely would try to make for shelter in Whitefish Bay which was still some hours off. At 4:39 p.m. McSorely contacted the Grand Maris Coast Guard Station to inquire about the the radio beacon at Whitefish Point Light Station. The Fitzgerald had been using the homing beacon as a further navigational aid when the station lost power. Throughout the night futile efforts were made to get the station up and running.

Darkness had closed in and the snow was coming down heavily. Winds were reaching speed of 90 mph and waves had grown to over 30-feet tall. Trough this the Anderson continued to monitor the Fitzgerald. In their last transmission McSorely had stated “We’re holding our own”.  At 7:15 p.m. Captain Jesse Cooper of the Anderson was observing the Fitzgerald on the radar when a snow squall came up and the Fitzgerald disappeared from the radar. About ten minutes later the squall cleared but the Fitzgerald did not reappear on the radar. She had vanished. Cooper tried to raise the Fitzgerald but received no answer. At first he thought the signal was too weak, but other vessels heard Cooper’s transmissions loud and clear. Cooper inquired of the other ships if they had seen or heard from the Fitzgerald. The answer was always no.

Worried over the Fitzgerald Cooper contacted the Coast Guard. The first time scant attention was paid to the Fitzgerald and Cooper was instead informed to keep an eye out for a missing craft. About an hour later Cooper again contacted the Coast Guard. This time the Coast Guard tried to contact the Fitzgerald. No response was received. Hours after the Fitzgerald had disappeared the Cost Guard sent out aircraft and ships to conduct search-and-rescue operations. Given the weather conditions and delays suffered by the rescue ships and planes, it was not likely anyone alive would be found when all was said and done.  That is assuming that the Fitzgerald had sunk and there were survivors in the water.

The Coast Guard asked the Anderson to return to the site of the Fitzgerald’s disappearance. The choice was up to him, they said, but it was preferable that he did return. Cooper was reluctant to place his ship in the same danger, but complied. In addition to the cutters that the Coast Guard dispatched another brave merchant vessel, the William Clay Ford, ventured out of Whitefish Bay to take part in the searching. At one point the Ford, and other ships, spotted a light on the beach. Hopes soared at the thought of the Fitzgerald having gone aground. But that was not to be. One of the search planes flew over and informed the ship that hunters chasing deer were responsible for the flashes of light.

SS Arthur M. Anderson (Courtesy Wikipedia)

The next morning wreckage was found. The Anderson located the battered remains of one of the Fitzgerald’s lifeboats. Sadly no survivors were found. Already people were combing the shores for bodies. But not even corpses would be located. The Edmund Fitzgerald took her entire crew, 29 men, with her when she sank. And with them went answers to many questions. There is some controversy surrounding the ship and many unanswered questions about what exactly happened that night. But in the words of Gordon Lightfoot, “The legend lives on”.

Source: Hemming, Robert J. Gales of November: The sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald.


68 thoughts on ““We’re Holding Our Own”: SS Edmund Fitzgerald

  1. At Discovery World in Milwaukee, I work the floor where there is a teaching replica of The Challenge (1852 vessel, sank in 1912) and an exhibit on The Rouse Simmons (a Christmas tree cargo ship). People are always remembering the Fitzgerald and asking for comparisons.


    • Thank you very much. Glad you enjoyed.

      It was so tragic. All hands lost and some of her secrets tightly locked away in Superior. I wonder if we will ever know exactly what happened…


    • Thank you, Susan. I think the storm was pretty bad (30-foot waves—can you imagine?). But then the Great Lakes are known for November storms. So many ships have been wrecked as a result of them.


  2. I read reports that the men on the ship could see the rocks on the bottom of the lake in the troughs of the waves. A tragic story – well told and well remembered.


    • Thanks much!

      That had to be a terrifying experience. Seeing the rocks and yet not knowing whether or not they were going to hit. I’m guessing that given the weather conditions it would have been pretty difficult to dodge them on their own.


  3. As with any well written non-fiction book, your posts always find me wanting MORE. This time to learn about the wreckage, and if it was found. As I was reading, I listened to Lightfoot’s song. Such a tragedy! Your retelling of the story was excellent and had me hunched over the computer reading as if i didn’t already know the incredibly sad ending!


    • Thank you, Jo. I guess it is a story more well-known to North America. As I understand it the hype about the ship waned not long after it was lost but Gordon Lightfoot revived interest with his song.


  4. I live on the Canadian side of the Windsor/Detroit border and there is a lovely church in Detroit close to the tunnel called the Mariner’s Church and every year they have a service in tribute to the lives lost on the Edmund Fitzgerald
    My husband is a diver so I know the story well


Share Your Thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s